Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib) affects 2.3 million adults in USA and is one of the most common arrhythmias. A Fib is an abnormal, rapid, heart rate that can present as palpitations, weakness and shortness of breath. A Fib increases your risk stroke as it may cause an atrial thrombus to form. In addition, A Fib can decrease your cardiac output which can cause heart failure. The goal of treating A Fib is to control your heart rate, either with drugs or with cardioconversion, and prevent thromboembolism via anticoagulation drugs.

Various diseases increase your risk of developing A Fib. Such conditions include hypertension, hyperthyroidism, coronary artery disease, valvular disorders, cardiomyopathy, or binge alcohol drinking (aka. Holiday heart).

Signs and Symptoms of Atrial Fibrillation

Many patients present with palpitations, chest discomfort, weakness, shortness of breath, or light-headedness. Some patients may have similar symptoms as those of a stroke or organ damage. Some patients may not experience any symptoms during A Fib. To confirm a diagnosis of A Fib, your doctor will need to order an ECG (electrocardiograph) which will show abnormal waves, intervals, and rhythm. Ecocardiographs and thyroid function tests are often ordered as well to assess the heart structure and identify additional risk factors for stroke.

Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation

After managing the cause of A Fib, treatment of A Fib has 3 key components: rate control, rhythm control, and prevention of embolism. The first decision made during the treatment of A Fib is whether to pursue rate control or rhythm control. Rate control is preferred for elderly patients who are asymptomatic or have minimal symptoms. Rhythm control is preferred for patients who have more than minimal symptoms, in young patients, or patients who have cardiomyopathy.

Rate Control

Patients with A Fib are at increased risk of developing cardiomyopathy due to tachycardia. For this reason, rate control tries to limit the heart rate to <100 beats/minute while resting. To achieve this goal, antiarrhythmic drugs are used. Beta-blockers (ex. Acebutololatenolol, betaxolol, bisoprololcarvedilolmetoprololnadololpropranolol, timolol) are preferred in thyroid disorders or with exercise-triggered cases. Nondihydropyridine calcium channel blockers (ex. Verapamildiltiazem) can also be used. Digoxin is least effective at managing heart rate by is preferred if patient also has heart failure. Amiodarone can be added to combination therapy if the previous medication alone are not enough to manage heart rate. However, amiodarone is poorly tolerated and up to 18% of patients eventually discontinue their therapy due to side effects.

Rhythm Control

Rhythm control can be achieved through medication or with catheter ablation. Various antiarrhythmic drugs can be used such as procainamide, disopyramide, quinidine, propafenoneflecainideamiodaronedronedaronesotalol, and ibutilide. All of the choices are about 50-60% effective in patients but have different side effects. Oral formulation of these drugs are used long-term for maintenance of sinus rhythm. After conversion to regular sinus rhythm, chronic anticoagulation is recommended

Long term Management of A Fib and Prevention of thromboembolism

In addition to chronic medication required to maintain rate or rhythm control, oral anticoagulants is recommended for prevention of stroke. Guidelines on how to approach anticoagulation therapy differ in each region and depending on your risk, your doctor may recommend aspirin alone or even no therapy. Warfarin and ASA have long been used as anticoagulants for this purpose and studies show that warfarin is more effective than ASA in prevention of stroke. Newer agents, such as apixabandabigatran, edoxaban, and rivaroxaban, are also commonly used as they require less monitoring and lifestyle changes. Various studies have shown that these newer agents are more effective than warfarin or ASA alone and are preferred except in special cases.

If you experience infrequent episodes of certain types of tachycardia, your doctor may recommend a “pill in pocket” approach to self administer a single dose of medication to restore normal heart rhythm.

56 thoughts on “Atrial Fibrillation

1. tretiva 5 mg says:

Isotretinoin 5 mg is an anti-acne medicine composed of isotretinoin. It is a form of vitamin A used to treat acne. Itretiva 5 mg is used to treat severe acne that has not responded to other treatments. This medicine can be used as per the advice of the doctor. The store is used to sell the best medicines at affordable prices.

2. zoritoler imol says:

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thanks Nonetheless I am experiencing situation with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting identical rss drawback? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

3. Sherilyn Keszler says:

I found your weblog web site on google and examine a number of of your early posts. Continue to maintain up the excellent operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Seeking ahead to reading more from you later on!…

4. zoritoler imol says:

I think other website proprietors should take this website as an model, very clean and great user genial style and design, let alone the content. You are an expert in this topic!

5. zorivareworilon says:

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually know what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my web site =). We could have a link exchange agreement between us!

6. Sterling Claro says:

Hey there! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when viewing from my iphone4. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this issue. If you have any recommendations, please share. Cheers!

7. jili slot says:

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research on this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I’m very glad to see such wonderful info being shared freely out there.

8. หวยออนไลน์ says:

Great site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed here? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get opinions from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Cheers!

9. amalan-amalan says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you’ve gotten hit the nail on the head. Your concept is excellent; the difficulty is one thing that not sufficient people are speaking intelligently about. I’m very blissful that I stumbled throughout this in my search for one thing relating to this.

10. quantec pro says:

I don’t even know the way I ended up here, but I thought this post used to be good. I do not recognise who you might be but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger should you are not already 😉 Cheers!

11. next day printing UK says:

I used to be more than happy to seek out this net-site.I wished to thanks in your time for this glorious read!! I positively having fun with each little little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you blog post.

12. กำจัดขน says:

Hi there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!